By MATT LANG and MARK GONZALEZJUNE 18, 2018 8:22AM EDTLEFT: A man is seen outside a courthouse in New York City on Wednesday, June 17, 2018, as he awaits trial in the case of a man who was attacked while outside a hotel in New Jersey.
RIGHT: A woman holds a sign that reads “I am not a slut” outside the New Jersey State Capitol on June 18, 2017.
The case of the New York man charged with raping a woman outside a New Jersey hotel on June 4, 2017 has sparked outrage and prompted a backlash online and from within the state’s Democratic Party.
The attack on the 21-year-old woman, who also goes by the name of Jasmine Johnson, occurred outside a high-end hotel in Newark, New Jersey, in late July.
Johnson told police that she was attacked and sexually assaulted by a man, later identified as 25-yearold Anthony D’Amico.
Police charged D’Amico with rape and kidnapping on Friday, July 6, 2017, and charged him with aggravated assault and kidnapping for allegedly trying to rape Johnson.
But prosecutors on Wednesday announced that a new evidence-gathering charge of kidnapping will be brought against D’Alemico, citing new evidence from a second witness.
The charge was not previously filed.
“A new witness came forward with a new, highly significant piece of evidence that will give us a new piece of information in the assault case,” Assistant Prosecutor Steven O’Neill said.
The state has already indicted D’Almico on three counts of kidnapping for alleged sexual assaults of two women who were in his car in October, but he has not yet been charged with kidnapping in this case.
D’Ahmico is scheduled to appear in court on Friday for a preliminary hearing.
(AP Photo/Seth Wenig) D’Anico was arraigned in the state Supreme Court in Newark on Wednesday morning and entered a not guilty plea.
A lawyer for D’Angelo D’Apiceo, who was acquitted in 2016 in a sexual assault case in New Brunswick, New Brunswick that D’Aciceo also faces, said the judge is considering the new charges.
“We are awaiting the court’s decision, which is not surprising given the nature of the case,” lawyer Robert Rinaldi said.
“I do think this will be a big blow to Anthony Daciceo and his defense team and to the public.”
The case has generated outrage on social media and in the Democratic Party, where D’Addicio’s defense team called the charges “absolutely outrageous and unjustified.”
Democratic lawmakers in New Hampshire have called on the state attorney general to investigate the allegations against Dacicos, who is the mayor of Newark.
“It’s not surprising that the charges would be brought now, given the seriousness of the charges and the evidence,” said Sen. Jeffery Johnson, a Republican who represents the New Brunswick district where Dacices home is located.
“Anthony Dacicus is the head of the Newark Police Department and he is in charge of the investigation.
I would hope the attorney general would investigate this case, and make sure that Anthony Danciceo is held accountable for his actions.”
Johnson called the attack a “scandal” and said he was surprised the case would have to be taken to trial at all.
“What happened here, in the end, was the result of an assault by Anthony Dace,” Johnson said.
Johnson, Dacie’s cousin, was also charged with conspiracy and aggravated assault for helping to organize a rally for Dacici’s arrest in July 2017.
A police report filed in the kidnapping case shows a witness called D’Acciceo a “sissy” and told police the alleged attack happened when D’Aficeo was with other people.
Police did not immediately release the report.
Police are still investigating whether the man who assaulted Johnson was part of the group, and they said the case was still being investigated.
Johnson said he hopes the charges against Dancis man will be dropped.
“If I had a choice between him and his friends, I would choose him,” Johnson told CNN.
“He’s the person I would rather be with.
He’s the guy I would want to hang out with.”